Information for Students
The ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, engineering, and construction management.
Students are mentored by professionals in the design and construction industry who meet as a team weekly during the school year after school; Teams meet from early November 2021 through May 2022.
During the 2021-22 season, ACE GNY will have teams that meet in-person and teams that meet remotely. Whichever team choice you join, you will have a great time learning about the fundamentals of architecture and engineering, and create lasting connections with your mentors.
Each team has representation from architects, engineers (structural, civil, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers.
Click the button below to register. We have limited availability – please register by December 31, 2021 to be placed on a team for January 2022!
Curious about the joining? Hear from current ACE GNY students about why they love ACE: click here for our playlist of short videos.
What will I do in ACE?
- Learn what it is like to work in the design and construction industry
- Participate in fun hands-on projects to learn A/C/E concepts
- Visit construction sites and professional offices of engineers, architects, and construction managers
- Meet students from other schools who share the same interests
- Use and learn industry software such as AutoCAD, Revit, and SketchUp
- Develop a mock-design project with your teammates and mentors
- Present your team project to leaders in the A/C/E industry, mentors, and peers
What are the benefits?
- Deep understanding of the design and construction industry
- Firsthand look at professional environment and office life
- Connections to alumni and professionals who will continue to provide support and networking during your college years and professional life
- Introduction to college programs, degree requirements, and keys to success
- Behind-the-scenes access to construction sites
- Opportunities for scholarships, internships, and post-college employment
- Excellent training in presentation and team building skills
How do I select an ACE GNY team?
If you know what team you want to join when you register, you can write it in on the application.
If not, ACE GNY holds a Team Registration Fair before the program starts where students can meet the teams and decide which team to join.
If students cannot attend the fair or register after the fair, that’s okay! ACE GNY will distribute available teams to students via email.
All teams cover architecture, engineering, and construction management. Most students select a team based on what day of the week works best for them. Students can also look at our list of mentor firms if there is a particular company they want to be mentored by.
Questions? Email us at GreaterNY@acementor.org!
The Student Experience
One of the best parts of ACE is being surrounded by people that are in the field you are interested in! You can ask questions, build connections and have great support. I have always had an interest in architecture but being part of ACE for 3 years inspired me further and enabled me to see I can produce more than I realized. I feel more confident in my abilities as my experience at ACE provided me with sufficient knowledge to understand the role of an architect. ACE has really been a memorable experience and I’m glad I was able to participate.- Ellianys Betances (Team 2), Manhattan Bridges High School (Bronx, NY)