Information for Students
The ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, engineering, and construction management.
Students are mentored by professionals in the design and construction industry who meet as a team weekly during the school year for one hour after school; Teams meet from early November 2020 through June 2021.
Each team has representation from architects, engineers (structural, civil, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers.
ACE GNY began the season virtually in Fall 2020! Registration and completion of the Parent Consent Form are both required to participate in ACE GNY virtual sessions. The program will be virtual for the entirety of the 2020-21 Program Year.
What will I do in ACE?
- Learn what it is like to work in the design and construction industry
- Participate in fun hands-on projects to learn A/C/E concepts
- Virtually visit construction sites and professional offices of engineers, architects, and construction managers
- Meet students from other schools who share the same interests
- Use and learn industry software such as AutoCAD, Revit, and SketchUp
- Develop a mock-design project with your teammates and mentors
- Present your team project to leaders in the A/C/E industry, mentors, and peers
What are the benefits?
- Deep understanding of the design and construction industry
- Firsthand look at professional environment and office life
- Connections to alumni and professionals who will continue to provide support and networking during your college years and professional life
- Introduction to college programs, degree requirements, and keys to success
- Behind-the-scenes access to construction sites
- Opportunities for scholarships, internships, and post-college employment
- Excellent training in presentation and team building skills
How do I select an ACE GNY team?
Students are welcome to request the same team they were on the previous year. If students want to explore new teams, there is a Team Registration Fair in October where students can meet all participating teams and select which they would like to join.
Interested in joining ACE Mentor of Greater NY?
Registration for the 2021-22 Program Year will open in July 2021!
The Student Experience
One of the best parts of ACE is being surrounded by people that are in the field you are interested in! You can ask questions, build connections and have great support. I have always had an interest in architecture but being part of ACE for 3 years inspired me further and enabled me to see I can produce more than I realized. I feel more confident in my abilities as my experience at ACE provided me with sufficient knowledge to understand the role of an architect. ACE has really been a memorable experience and I’m glad I was able to participate.- Ellianys Betances (Team 2), Manhattan Bridges High School (Bronx, NY)