Information for Students
The ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, engineering, and construction management.
Students are mentored by professionals in the design and construction industry who meet as a team weekly during the school year after school; Teams meet from early November 2021 through May 2022.
During the 2021-22 season, ACE GNY will have teams that meet in-person and teams that meet remotely. Whichever team choice you join, you will have a great time learning about the fundamentals of architecture and engineering, and create lasting connections with your mentors.
Each team has representation from architects, engineers (structural, civil, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers.
Click the button below to register and receive more information about ACE GNY! All students are accepted into ACE – once you register, you will receive information about selecting a team and getting started!
Curious about the joining? Hear from current ACE GNY students about why they love ACE: click here for our playlist of short videos.
What will I do in ACE?
- Learn what it is like to work in the design and construction industry
- Participate in fun hands-on projects to learn A/C/E concepts
- Visit construction sites and professional offices of engineers, architects, and construction managers
- Meet students from other schools who share the same interests
- Use and learn industry software such as AutoCAD, Revit, and SketchUp
- Develop a mock-design project with your teammates and mentors
- Present your team project to leaders in the A/C/E industry, mentors, and peers
What are the benefits?
- Deep understanding of the design and construction industry
- Firsthand look at professional environment and office life
- Connections to alumni and professionals who will continue to provide support and networking during your college years and professional life
- Introduction to college programs, degree requirements, and keys to success
- Behind-the-scenes access to construction sites
- Opportunities for scholarships, internships, and post-college employment
- Excellent training in presentation and team building skills
How do I select an ACE GNY team?
In early October, all registered students will receive a list of available teams, organized by team mode (in-person, fully remote, or remote start). Students should review this list closely and make note of any teams they are interested in joining. On October 28, we will be hosting a remote Team Registration Fair where each team will present to prospective students about why they should join their team! After the fair, students will report to us what team they want to join and begin meeting with their teams the second week of November.
If students know what team they want to join upon registration, they can write the team number into the space on their registration form. ACE GNY will send all students a confirmation once they are added to the team.
Questions? Email us at GreaterNY@acementor.org!
The Student Experience
One of the best parts of ACE is being surrounded by people that are in the field you are interested in! You can ask questions, build connections and have great support. I have always had an interest in architecture but being part of ACE for 3 years inspired me further and enabled me to see I can produce more than I realized. I feel more confident in my abilities as my experience at ACE provided me with sufficient knowledge to understand the role of an architect. ACE has really been a memorable experience and I’m glad I was able to participate.- Ellianys Betances (Team 2), Manhattan Bridges High School (Bronx, NY)