Information for Students
The ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, engineering, and construction management.
Students are mentored by professionals in the design and build industry who meet as a team at mentors’ offices twice a month during the school year for two hours starting at 4:00PM or 4:30PM; teams meet 15 times per academic season.
Each team has representation from architects, engineers (structural, civil, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers.
What will I do in ACE?
- Learn what it is like to work in the design and construction industry
- Participate in fun hands-on projects to learn A/C/E concepts
- Visit construction sites and professional offices of engineers, architects, and construction managers
- Meet students from other schools who share the same interests
- Use and learn industry software such as AutoCAD, Revit, and SketchUp
- Develop a mock-design project with your teammates and mentors
- Present your team project to leaders in the A/C/E industry, mentors, and peers
What are the benefits?
- Deep understanding of the design and construction industry
- Firsthand look at professional environment and office life
- Connections to alumni and professionals who will continue to provide support and networking during your college years and professional life
- Introduction to college programs, degree requirements, and keys to success
- Behind-the-scenes access to construction sites
- Opportunities for scholarships, internships, and post-college employment
- Excellent training in presentation and team building skills
How do I select an ACE GNY team?
The Team Registration Fair will be held on October 16, 2019 at 1221 Avenue of the Americas, The Underground. Students will be able to meet the NYC teams participating this season, and select which team they want to join. RSVP for the event to be announced. Parents and teachers are welcome.
If students cannot make the fair, ACE GNY Staff will send a PDF via email to students with information on each team. Students will be able to select their top three choices for teams to join.
Interested in joining ACE Mentor of Greater NY?
Our application for the 2020-2021 season opens up August 2020. If you email us, we can let you know once the application opens up in August.
The Student Experience
One of the best parts of ACE is being surrounded by people that are in the field you are interested in! You can ask questions, build connections and have great support. I have always had an interest in architecture but being part of ACE for 3 years inspired me further and enabled me to see I can produce more than I realized. I feel more confident in my abilities as my experience at ACE provided me with sufficient knowledge to understand the role of an architect. ACE has really been a memorable experience and I’m glad I was able to participate.- Ellianys Betances (Team 2), Manhattan Bridges High School (Bronx, NY)