Information for Schools
The ACE Mentor Program of GNY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, construction, or engineering. ACE Greater NY serves students who have no prior knowledge of the industry, as well as students who have familiarity with it.
For the 2021-22 Program Year, ACE GNY will offer students the opportunity to join a team that meets in-person or a team that meets remotely. Whichever team mode your students join, they will have a great time learning the fundamentals of architecture and engineering, and creating lasting connections with their mentors.
Only students who are registered can participate in ACE GNY. Students can register by following the steps below. All students are accepted into ACE GNY – students must first register and then will receive information about selecting what team they would like to join.
Representatives from the ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY would be happy to meet with parent associations, student organizations, and/or school faculty. We also welcome invitations to career/college fairs, student activity events, and classroom presentations in classes related to architecture, construction, and engineering. Please email Lauren Fiore at email@example.com to learn about school partnerships.
- Teams are made up of 25-30 students and 15 mentors represented by the A-E-C industry (architects, engineers (civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers)
- Teams meet once a week for after school from early November through June
- Mentors set the program schedule, each meeting agenda, and confirm meeting locations via email to students
- Students and mentors develop a pseudo-design project that allows students to creatively apply the knowledge they learned in ACE GNY to a collective project
- At the end of the season, students present their project via PowerPoint, to replicate the process in which a design teams presents a proposal to a potential client
- Students are welcome to join ACE GNY throughout their high school years; scholarships are available to senior students who apply and qualify. For more information about Scholarships, please click here.
Benefits to the ACE Mentor Program:
- Firsthand exposure to the industry from professionals
- Mentorship by an industry professional on college advice, career advice, and more
- Networking with industry professionals and peers from different schools
- Use of design software such as AutoCAD, Revit, etc.
- Development of social skills such as public speaking, communication, and problem-solving
- Application of topics learned to a pseudo-design project
- Access to tours of construction sites and office spaces
- Job shadowing opportunities
- Opportunities for internships in high school and college
How to Sign Students up for ACE:
- Visit www.acementor.org/students
- Click “Registration/Log-in”
- Have students register using an email address they check daily
- Have students complete a Parent Consent Form
Most students sign-up for ACE GNY individually. If you are a Career and Technical Education school that is interested in having a full team of students from your school, please contact Lauren Fiore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please email us at GreaterNY@acementor.org.
Looking for handouts or more information for students about ACE?
The School Experience
ACE Greater NY is a life-changer – I know for sure that the students that I send get the exposure and get that bug for construction or civil engineering or architecture. I am confident that they are in the industry for life.- Pedro Placido, Pre-Engineering Teacher at Manhattan Bridges High School