Information for Schools
The ACE Mentor Program of GNY is a free after-school mentorship program to introduce high school students to careers in architecture, construction, or engineering. ACE Greater NY serves students who have no prior knowledge of the industry, as well as students who have familiarity with it.
Representatives from the ACE Mentor Program of Greater NY would be happy to meet with parent associations, student organizations, and/or school faculty. We also welcome invitations to career/college fairs, student activity events, and classroom presentations in classes related to architecture, construction, and engineering. Please email Lauren Fiore at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about school partnerships.
ACE GNY will begin the season virtually in Fall 2020! Registration and completion of the Parent Consent Form are both required to participate in ACE GNY virtual sessions. We plan to resume in-person meetings once they are allowed.
- Teams are made up of 15-30 students and 7-10 mentors represented by A-E-C industry (architects, engineers (civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical), and construction managers)
- Teams meet twice a month from 4:00 to 6:00pm or 4:30-6:30pm November through mid-May
- There are a small number of teams that begin in January, and meet once a week, every week, from January through May
- Mentors set the program schedule, each meeting agenda, and confirm meeting locations via email to students
- Students and mentors develop a pseudo-design project that allows students to creatively apply the knowledge they learned in ACE GNY to a collective project
- At the end of the season, students present their project via PowerPoint, to replicate the process in which a design teams presents a proposal to a potential client
- Students are welcome to join ACE GNY throughout their high school years; scholarships are available to senior students who apply and qualify. For more information about Scholarships, please click here (link to ‘students – Scholarships’ page).
Benefits to the ACE Mentor Program:
- Firsthand exposure to the industry from professionals
- Networking with industry professionals and peers from different schools
- Use of design software such as AutoCAD, Revit, etc.
- Development of social skills such as public speaking, communication, and problem-solving
- Application of topics learned to a pseudo-design project
- Access to tours of construction sites and office spaces
- Job shadowing opportunities
How to Sign Students up for ACE:
- Visit www.acementor.org/students
- Click “Registration/Log-in”
- Have students register using an email address they check daily
- Have students complete a Parent Consent Form
If you have any questions, please email us at GreaterNY@acementor.org.
Looking for handouts or more information for students about ACE?
The School Experience
ACE Greater NY is a life-changer – I know for sure that the students that I send get the exposure and get that bug for construction or civil engineering or architecture. I am confident that they are in the industry for life.- Pedro Placido, Pre-Engineering Teacher at Manhattan Bridges High School