Information for Mentors
ACE Greater NY mentors are vital to accomplishing the program’s mission. With their diverse experiences and backgrounds, mentors have an enormous impact in shaping both students’ personal and career development. Mentors bring more to the program than just information about the concepts: they bring career guidance, industry knowledge, and the skills needed to succeed in the design and build industry.
ACE Greater NY teams are comprised of 25-30 high school students, ranging in grade level and background familiarity of the field. Teams are led by 10-15 mentors from different firms and industries. Each team must have representation of Architects, Civil/Structural Engineers, Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing Engineers, and Construction Managers. Teams are led by a Team Leader, who develops a lesson plan for the season and works with mentors to create a supportive learning environment for students. ACE GNY Teams meet from early November through June, meeting weekly for about an hour. ACE Greater NY operates alongside the New York City Department of Education school calendar.
Curious about mentoring? Hear from current ACE GNY mentors on why they love the program: click here for our playlist of short videos.
Requirements of Becoming a Mentor
- Currently be working in the A-E-C industry (possible examples: architects, engineers (structural, civil, electrical, and/or mechanical), construction managers)
- Complete a criminal background check
- Support mentor team in implementing lesson plans to explain industry topics to high school students
- Engage students in virtual hands-on activities as part of the mentor team
- Work collaboratively with other mentors to demonstrate how the different industry disciplines interact on a project
- Advise students about decision making, college major choices, and career development
- Time commitment for entire season – ACE GNY Teams meet weekly
- Provide knowledge to students on what to expect in college and career
- Be willing to write letters of recommendations for college and/or scholarship applications
Interested in joining or creating an ACE GNY Team?
The Mentor Experience
I was introduced to the ACE program as a high school student back in 2010. I am now 3 years out of engineering school and have been working in the MEP Engineering industry ever since. Mentoring with ACE is my way of paying it forward. Whether or not the students realize it yet, they appreciate your time and will be better prepared for when it’s time for them to embark on their own journey. And as it did in my case back in high school, the ripple effects of giving back will continue so long as we as a society believe in and continue to put time and effort into initiatives like the ACE Mentor Program.- Jose Suarez, MEP Engineer